Monday, October 17, 2011

Happy Birthday Sister!

I know, I know....I was supposed to get back to the cupcakes but this was a very special occasion!  It was my sister's 30th birthday.  Love you sister!  She's a fan of the rainbow, but come on...who isn't?  I saw this really cool idea on babble.com.  It's a rainbow cake in a jar! How neat!

This is what it was supposed to look like.


Isn't it beautiful!  Yeah! I thought so too!  So brilliant me decided to do this an hour before we left for Houston to see her.....


So I go to the store get what I need....food coloring, quart size canning jars, sprinkles....QUART SIZED CANNING JARS?!  I guess I just thought that was a jumbo spoon or something (it does look pretty big)...The recipe called for pint sized canning jars...no big deal! I'll just make 2 jars instead of 3!  So still being my brilliant self didn't think about cooking time....(also did it in the microwave instead of the oven because it said 2 minutes instead of 40! Woo!).....

WRONG...For some reason I couldn't get them to cook on the outsides....but the inside was done!  I said what the hell...took them to Houston and presented them the next day....this is how it all went down.


Yeah, it's pretty ugly.  It may be rainbow colors but it's no rainbow. 



Oh look! It's much prettier out of the jar!  She ate quite a bit, then got a phone call and let the cake sit.......


This started to appear....goo...this is after being microwaved for...oh I don't know 6 minutes?.....So we removed the icing and nuked it some more...Eventually everything was well again!


Take a look at this rainbow cake in a bowl! It really did turn out pretty and gooooood. 

I just know better than to wait until the last minute, and I won't be cutting any corners next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment